Under the general supervision of the City Manager, the Planner is responsible for overseeing the City’s general planning and zoning administration, including but not limited to comprehensive plan development and implementation, zoning ordinance development and administration.
Supervised By: City Manager and/or his or her designee
Essential Job Functions:
The Planner is responsible for implementing the City’s general planning and zoning functions, under the direction of the zoning administrator. This includes, but is not limited to comprehensive plan development and implementation, zoning ordinance development and administration. Work is conducted under the general direction of the Assistant City Manager. The position will work closely with City staff and other governmental and public groups as work demands. Daily work assignments are performed independently according to established procedures and practices.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties: These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Develops and implements various community plans and projects, including community engagement processes.
- Process and review land use applications including rezoning, lot splits, PUD’s plats, condominium developments, site plans, etc.
- Assists in the administration of Zoning and Development ordinances
- Performs physical inspections related to site plan compliance and is responsible for ensuring compliance of zoning regulations for the City’s planning and zoning ordinances.
- Makes recommendation and prepare amendments to City Ordinances
- Serves as staff support and drafts detailed reports and recommendations to various City Boards, Commissions and Committees as assigned, including but not limited to the City Planning Commission, the Zoning Board of Appeals, the Historic District Commission and various project committees that may be established from time to time.
- Informs and advise contractors, developers and homeowners regarding the City’s planning and zoning ordinances
- Works with the assessor to review and approve lot splits and enhancements to ensure conformance with the zoning ordinance.
- Conducts site plan reviews for new construction projects and improvements to existing sites.
- Prepares and submits grant applications on behalf of the City and other City departments.
- Processes and approve zoning permits, including visiting sites to verify location and compliance for fences, sheds, etc.
- Assists with project planning and development which may include plan writing, general familiarity with basic engineering / construction details, project costs and potential funding sources for a wide variety of projects ranging from streets, parks, streetscape, parking areas, and building construction / renovation
- Assists with project implementation, which may include RFP preparation, soliciting of proposals, review of proposals, consultant interview participation, compilation of contract documents, payment processing and coordination and oversight of various project participants
Code Enforcement and Property Maintenance
- Follow up on initial complaints and document concerns.
- Process code enforcement complaints as needed and works with the City Attorney as needed to ensure compliance.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
- BS or BA degree from an accredited planning school, experience in local government planning department or planning consultant working with local governments preferred
- BS or BA degree in a related course of study and 2 years experience in the planning field
- Must have valid Operator License (driver license).
- Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including computers and related software, and the ability to master new technologies.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work effectively under stress and within deadlines.
- Ability to schedule, coordinate and track work assignments
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate maturity, sound logic and reasoning capabilities, strong special analysis skills and computer proficiency, and be able to collaborate with staff and developers to maximize the quality of community development. Additionally, the candidate will have a well-developed knowledge of planning principles and parties, general knowledge of zoning laws and familiarity with various Federal and State development related funding sources.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with City officials, representatives of business and community groups, fellow employees, and the general public.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The Physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others in person and on the telephone. The employee is frequently required to create, type and review computer documents and sit for long periods of time at a computer. Employee may be required to travel to other locations and to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items of light weight.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in a business office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but dependent on location, it can range from moderate to high.
Salary and Benefits
The City offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and vision along with an employee assistance program. The City has a MERS hybrid retirement plan as well as vacation and sick time. Salary ranges from $42,000 to $51,000. Applicants should submit a resume and application to Bridget Smith, City Manager.